Sherry Christmas Tree, Plaza de Arenal, Jerez de la Frontera, Spain
My husband Brad and I are on the greatest adventure of our lives! We live in Rota Spain and are basically taking a European vacation for the next three years; so come along with us as we travel around Europe, live, learn and eventually get luvs.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Kayaking in the Mediterranean

We headed out early this Saturday for a fun filled day of kayaking and sight seeing in Tarifa, Spain. We were up so early, we even beat the sun out of bed! but it was great to see the beautiful sunrise as we were getting on the road.

Brad and I had to ride together in a two man kayak which tested our ability to work together. It went alright, but I think we will be requesting single man kayaks next time. When it comes to sports I like to flounder on my own!

We paddled out into the bay and around the point out into the Straight of Gibraltar. We pulled into a little cove for a snack and short break. I of course snapped a few quick pictures of the idealistic scenery.

Once we were back at the beach we took a little time to soak up the sun and take in the view. You know that your living the dream when your little weekend kayak trip has the Rock of Gibraltar as a back drop.

The drive to and from the kayak site was as different as night and day from the morning to the afternoon. The morning mist and clouds were all but gone when by the drive back across the hills.

After the paddle we headed back toward Rota, stopping into the little surf town of Tarifa for lunch and little sight seeing. Santa Catalina, the castle-like building near Playa Chica( Chica Beach), was built in 1929 as a weather center. During the Spanish Civil War it was taken over by Franco for ammunition storage and the bunkers below were built.

Before taking a stroll down by the beach we stopped in and had a little Chino, it was probably the best Chinese food I have had in quite some time!

With full bellies and a little time to kill we took a stroll down by the beach. The views were amazing! and we found a fun little outdoor gym right down on the board walk. I think I would definitely be able to enjoy a work out with this kind of scenery.

Since moving to Europe, I have developed a new appreciation for graffiti. Its hard not to, since its about as common as breathing. I just love its color, contrast, and even sometimes its message.

Tarifa, is famous for attracting kite surfers from all over Spain. This sculpture down on the board walk shows all the names they have given to winds, common jargon to the avid kite surfer.

Great weather, great food, and as always great company. Just another weekend for the record books.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on getting out there, seeing the world and developing mad skillz along the way. Too bad I was born without a single adventurous bone in my doughy body. I don't know where you and your sister got those genes, but I am glad to see it. Y'all are wild women! Brad looks like he is totally enjoying himself as well.
    And now back to my regularly scheduled Sunday nap, already in progress...

    ReplyDelete